TECH Central-The Internet is more than what we think it is. It has affected us and made a lot of impact on our lives. The Internet as we know allows users to interact, connect with and network one another.
With the advent of the Internet, things have gotten better, making learning easy especially during uncertainty like the recent coronavirus pandemic. Though with several side-effects, the Internet gives us the opportunity to acquire new skills across various platforms.
Skill acquisition is a type of learning in which repetition results in enduring changes in an individual’s capability to perform a specific task. With enough repetition, the performance of the task may become automatic with little need for conscious oversight.
In the current job market, having the right skills is very important to get a job. To start a career, you have to show the world what you can do.
Platforms where you can learn new skills include:
YouTube, Facebook, Zoom, Instagram, WhatsApp, Telegram and several e-learning sites.
Facebook allows it’s users to have access to video, calls, groups creation, chat rooms where they can connect thereby learning with the post sharing and chat rooms there’s enough access to communication and a skilled professional can share their experiences and knowledge on a particular skill like baking, cooking, creative writing and many more.
YouTube is one of the largest/biggest and most popular video distribution platforms on the internet. YouTube video contents reach more prospects and give very easy access to learning (getting video clips) that will showcase everything that is needed to be known in a particular field or subject. For instance, users can learn how to tie headgear (GELE) without learning the skill physically.
Types of Skills you can Learn on the Internet
Reading and speaking skills.
Sewing and Fashion skills
Digital skills are defined as a range of abilities to use digital devices, communication applications, and networks to access and manage information. They enable
people to create and share digital content, communicate and collaborate.
Examples are Programming, Website and Application development, digital product management and Data Science and Data Analytics.
Writing skills include all the knowledge and abilities related to expressing ideas through the written word. It allows you to communicate message (S) with clarity and ease to a far larger audience than through face to face or telephone conversations. Example THE NEWSPAPER writing skills allow the writer to be fast and logical in reasoning, also the deployment of skill to write expository writing will differ from creative writing. Writing is putting words into display.
A good writer must be able to:
• Time management.
- Dancing skills are performance-based skills, it is the movement of the body in a rhythmic way, usually to music or a pleasant sound. It is also the tools used in the art of dance in the domains of movement and choreography, dancing is a creative outlet and a form of therapy. Dancing can be learned such as Ballet, Jazz dancing, shuffling, contemporary and it can be a talent; anybody can dance but mastery the steps and how to move the body, when to is a good technique.
- Culinary skills this simply deals with cooking. It is the art of food preparation, cooking and food presentation. Culinarians are also artistes they decorate their meals thereby expressing themselves.
Things you can do perfectly with culinary skills are:
•Kneading the dough
•Making the perfect stock
All these and many more can be learnt in the basics of culinary.
- Management skills there are a collection of abilities which include planning, decision-making, adaptability, leadership, problem-solving, communication, time management, delegation. It is being able to take charge or put things in order. Having management skills helps the community or society to grow.
- Artistic skills are the ability and talent to create fine work of art like drawing, painting, sculpting, Makeup and more. Artistic skills are not innate you can learn to be better with constant practice over a short period of time
Tips for learning well on the Internet
- Be ready to learn.
- Switch off notifications when it’s time for the class.
- Put some messages down in a notebook.
- Practice, review, and repeat them.
- Eliminate distractions.
- Be objective.
- Actively participate.
- Be timely and accountable.
- Have good internet access
- Take breaks
- There are quite a lot of skills to opt-in for on the web. However, in choosing any skill, you have to go for your interest. Interest helps to make learning easier.